Yes. Tomatoes are surely keto–friendly because they contain 2–3 grams of net carbs per 3.5 ounces (100 grams), which is 10 times less than most fruit.
Tomatoes are slightly acidic tasting flesh, which is red and sometimes yellow. It is pulpy, naturally glossy, and eaten in many forms. Indeed, a very popular piece of food. How interesting that tomato is a fruit yet is eaten as a vegetable, used widely in salads. As a wild plant introduced by American tomatoes later became a thing worldwide.
Now there are thousands of varieties grown. They have grown to be the most liked crop internationally. They were first eaten by the tribes in Mexico in 700 AD and were not cultivated in Britain till the 1590s. Scientifically, tomatoes are from a family commonly known as the “nightshade family”. Potato, chili, and eggplants come from the same family. There are many varieties of tomatoes such as Roma, heirloom, cherry tomatoes, but the most common is “globe tomatoes”.
What Are The Benefits Of Tomato
Following are some of the benefits of tomatoes:
1- Weight Loss:
As an excellent addition to diet, tomatoes are a versatile ingredient. The intake of tomatoes increases the levels of amino acids in the body, which leads to the burning of extra fat in the body.
2- Build immunity:
As an immense amount of vitamin C, these help you keep energized. They are a superb source of improving one’s immune system.
3- Easy Digestion:
Tomatoes help with life as well as your stomach. They are loaded with fibers that help overcome any sort of digestion issues.
4- Helps lower blood sugar:
Tomatoes contain a mineral called “Chromium”. It keeps sugar levels in the blood in check. It is a healthy alternative to be added to the diet.
5- Helps smokers:
A very few people know that they help remove smoking traces from the lungs. As acids present in them, they help our body to overcome the adverse effects of smoking on our lungs.
Are Tomatoes Keto-Friendly
They help in burning fat from our bodies. The question being answered is that tomatoes are diet-friendly, but does this make them keto-friendly?. Tomatoes are considered fruits and as many fruits they are keto-friendly. They are widely used in salads for a keto diet. Tomatoes contain fewer net carbs than many fruits and vegetables.
The ratio of net carbs in tomatoes is around 2-3 grams for 100 grams. Due to fewer carbs, tomatoes are keto-friendly, which most of the fruits are not. Notably canned tomato products such as juices, sauces, puree contain added ingredients that may not fall into a keto diet.
Among their medical advantages, they contain lycopene, which examination proposes may help forestall coronary illness.
Carbs, Net Carbs And Other Nutritional Facts In Tomatoes
Net carbs 5g
San Marzano Organic Peeled Tomatoes
Net carbs 6g
Cherokee Purple Tomato
Net carbs 5g
Organic Tomato On-The-Vine
Net carbs 5g
Sungold cherry tomatoes
Net carbs 4g
Net carbs 3g
Organic Beefsteak Tomato
Net carbs 2g
Mini Kumato Tomatoes
Net carbs 3g
Organic Heirloom Tomato
Net carbs 6g
Interesting Facts About Tomatoes
- Tomatoes are native to South America; their Aztec name means plump thing with a navel.
- In the mid-15th century, they were first brought to Europe.
- Early European tomatoes were yellow, and Italian tomatoes are called Pomodoro or golden apples.
- Wolf peach’ is the scientific name of tomato, Lycopersicon Lycopersicum.
- As part of the ‘Tomatosphere I, II, III, and IV’ experiments, 600,000 tomato seeds traveled to the International Space Station and back before being grown in classrooms all over Canada.
- There are more than 10,000 different tomato varieties, ranging from pink to purple to black to yellow to white.
It was thought that tomatoes were poisonous because they are related to the deadly nightshade plant (belladonna).
- When tomatoes ripen, even after harvesting, they gain weight.
- Lycopene is an important antioxidant for men’s prostate gland which is found in tomatoes.
- Tomatoes are fruits. For taxation purposes, they were defined as vegetables after the US Supreme Court ruled in the 1890s. In contrast, a fruit is the edible part of a plant containing seeds, while a vegetable is its stem, leaves, or roots.
Best Keto Tomato Soup Recipe
As a quality of low carbs, tomatoes can use a versatile ingredient during the diet. Let’s discuss a quick and delicious recipe for a yummy tomato soup that is keto-friendly:
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped.
- 2 cloves garlic (Thinly chopped )
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt,
- Add tomatoes and garlic in a bowl, and mix
- After mixing them well, put them in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes to bake.
- Put in a pot on the stove after baking the tomatoes.
- Blend the tomatoes in the pot.
- Add chicken broth to the mixture.
- Add mixed herbs, Sea salt, & black pepper.
- Mix well.
- Let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add a splash of heavy cream and some freshly chopped basil to the mixture.
- Serve it in a bowl and enjoy.
Tomatoes help in burning fat from our bodies. Tomatoes contain less net carbs than many fruits and vegetables. Many yummy tomato recipes are there. Because of fewer carbs, tomatoes are keto-friendly, which most of the fruits are not. They are very healthy to eat. As added figures in the above chart, we highly recommend adding them to your diet. One does not have to worry if they ate too many to destroy their body state of “ketosis”.